With summer quickly approaching (I use the word ‘quickly’ loosely because it is the middle of May and I wore my down-coat and scarf last weekend, however, this is Chicago and we could be in a hot box
tomorrow), I've spent my afternoons day dreamin' of the perfect cocktail to enjoy outside, in a hammock, on a boat...etc, etc. While any cocktail will be enjoyable, I've come to the conclusion that the "perfect" summer thirst quencher needs to fulfill a certain criteria. It needs to be:
1. Deliciously refreshing - One day in the near future it will be 91 degrees outside with 80% humidity. A gentle breeze will be a faint memory as you try to remember a day when the wind caused the rain to come in sideways. Oh, and there won’t be a single cloud in the sky.
2. Easy to make - Let's face it, the heat will affect my brain in such a way that the thought of standing around, measuring out liquors I can't pronounce (what is Curacao anyway? no idea) will be too complicated a task.
3. Reasonably priced - I'll definitely need to make enough to last me a whole three months. Being on a teacher's schedule, I'm allowed several days throughout the summer where I drink before noon, just because I can. It’s not alcoholism, it’s celebrating freedom from teenage tyrants. Don't judge me!! Anyway...
My drink of choice this summer is what I am now calling The Beer Garita Senor.
· Premixed Jose Cuervo/Sauza Margarita Mix (around $15 for 1.75ml)
· Coronitas (7oz Coronas that I found at Binny's - $5.99 a six pack)
· Salt if desired
Salt rim (which I didn't do here - sad face) of mini fish bowl (I found these suckers in the candle isle at the dollar store by my house - oh how I heart thee Dollar Tree) and fill with ice. Pour in Margarita Mix (it’s up to your discretion, I'm not here to tell you how much is too much :) but you usually want to aim around a 2:1 ratio of margarita to beer.) Open Coronita and place it into the fish bowl upside down (flip quickly!) *Sidenotes: Coronita will have to pressurize, so it will empty about half way...just want to make sure there is enough room in the fishbowl - I may have freaked out when I first did this. Also, the Coronita will literally be sitting in your drink, so I washed off the bottles beforehand.* And I'm done. In order to prove that this concoction meets all of the summer time cocktail requirements I:
1. Drank it - It is probably the most refreshing thing I've ever had in my life… Second to the cups of water I guzzled while attempting to run the Chicago Half Marathon… so on that scale, you can see it’s pretty refreshing.
2. I may or may not have asked a certain someone to time me while I made them. It took me exactly 2 mins and 16 second to make three (although, I did not salt the rim). He was annoyed at having to do this but got over it when I handed him The Beer Garita Senor to make up for it.
3. Coronita - $1, Margarita - about $1.50 per serving X 2 servings = $4 Ole!
I'm all about the proof people!!
Have a happy summer AMIGOS! If you have the desire to drink one at 11:30 on a Wednesday this July, call me :)